Sunday 25 September 2011

My favourite gloves

As we were about to embark on what I thought was a leisurely walk, my friend donned his breathable, techno, micro, performance, endurance gear. All lighweight and cost a small fortune.

An hour later did he feel any more refreshed than I did? Not really, and I was wearing cotton jeans and a hemp polo shirt - nothing techno about them.

We then turned the conversation to gloves. I'm one of those people that gets cold hands, I believe it is because I have a warm heart but that is often disputed. In my quest to prevent my fingers falling off in the bitter winter months I have been seduced by the expensive gloves promising to provide a technical solution that means they can be worn in the North Pole without any loss of heat. Rubbish.

Over the years I have spent a small fortune on man-made fibre clothing all promising to keep me warm but when it comes down to it only one pair of gloves actually works. And surprise, surprise, they are no-nonsense, no-preservatives-added, sheepskin gloves.

I bought them on Skye, where they are made as a by-product of the meat trade. They are cut and stitched without finesse but are functional, presentable and they actually keep my hands warm.

Which reminds me, what's happened to big woolly jumpers? It's hardly surprising that we're using so much energy heating our houses when people dress as if it's summer all year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment